Saturday, July 5, 2014

Family,

This coming week we are going to L'viv for Zone conference. That should be fun!

Sadly I don't have a whole lot to share with you from my week. I have had my ups and downs. This week, to be honest was more of a down. So I just wanted to share with you some things that I have learned instead of telling you about my week:

D and C 58:

3 Ye cannot behold with your natural eyes, for the present time, the design of your God concerning those things which shall come hereafter, and the glory which shall follow after much tribulation.

4 For after much tribulation come the blessings. Wherefore the day cometh that ye shall be crowned with much glory; the hour is not yet, but is nigh at hand.

5 Remember this, which I tell you before, that you may lay it to heart, and receive that which is to follow.

Sometimes in life, we have to go through really hard trials. Whether it is the loss of a loved one, some kind of set back, or something else. These trials test us, and many times are very painful. They come even when we are doing what is right. These trials can either bring us closer to our Father in Heaven or they can drive us from Him.

A story that has been really close to my heart the last few weeks is found in three places in the scriptures. Matthew 19, Luke 18, and Mark 10. I will quote from the latter.

A young, rich ruler comes to Jesus to inquire what he needs to do to receive eternal life. Christ answers Him:

19 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.

20 And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth.

The young ruler was a good man. He kept the commandments.

21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

This was to be the mans trial. Christ knew it would be hard. Sadly this trail was to much for the young ruler, for we read:

22 And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.

The young ruler was not willing to give His all. He was willing to give his most. But when God asked for that which was most dear to his heart and soul, that was too much for him. He backed out. I believe that each of us will have similar moments that will try us to see if we will be willing to answer the call of the Savior:

Matthew 4:19 And he saith unto them, Follow me

As we continue in Mark ten we read, that after the young ruler refuses to give his all:

28 Then Peter began to say unto him, Lo, we have left all, and have followed thee.

Peter and the other disciples truly had done just that. For we read in Matthew 4:

20 And they straightway left their nets, and followed him.

They left their nets, their work, all they knew at the call of the Savior. Was it hard for them? Yes, I am sure it was. But that is the high price of being a disciple of Jesus Christ.

In Matthew 20 we also get a little taste of the price of being a disciple.

21 And he said unto her, What wilt thou? She saith unto him, Grant that these my two sons may sit, the one on thy right hand, and the other on the left, in thy kingdom.

22 But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able.

23 And he saith unto them, Ye shall drink indeed of my cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with: but to sit on my right hand, and on my left, is not mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of my Father.

Life was not meant to be easy. It is the refiners fire. We will have to drink in small measure the bitter cup that the Savior drank.

As we read of Him, we learn of what filled His cup.

Mosiah 14:3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

We can even read His own words:

D and C 19: 18 Which suffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit—and would that I might not drink the bitter cup, and shrink—

19 Nevertheless, glory be to the Father, and I partook and finished my preparations unto the children of men.

So when trails come your way, remember the words of Peter

"Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery atrial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:

But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ’s sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy."

There are many other who have walked the path behind the Savior who we can look to as examples. Consider a few:
-Joseph Smith
-Abraham
-Abinadi
-Peter
-Paul
-Job
The list goes on and on.

These words in Moroni 7 really stick out to me "charity suffereth long"

47 But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him.

48 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure. Amen.

Have the hope that when you are called to your fiery trials that it is not meant to destroy you, but it is meant to help you reach the promise in the previous verse. To become like the Savior, we must follow Him. That includes walking in the same path He walked. Frightening? Yes, of course.But also, with the help of the Savior and His atonement for us, it is doable.

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

John 16: 33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

I know that the Savior knows what we are going through. I know He can and will help us overcome every obstacle. I know He is the Son of God. He loves us. He wants us to be happy, and He knows what will make us happy.

Love,

Elder Hadfield

No comments:

Post a Comment